martes, junio 7

Religion and politics... ~ Religión y política

It sounds to me like painkillers and alcohol, not a healthy combo, but oh well....
I was watching the 2 o'clock edition of the news today and I saw there's a crisis in Bolivia. It reminded me of what happened here over 30 years ago and that still causes so much pain. In Bolivia the cities are blocked, there's no way in or out for the food, gas, meat, milk, or any products. People are having problems finding something to eat and even those who want to sell their products are not allowed to. Of course there's no exchange of products with Chile.
In the middle of the crisis president Meza was asked for his resignation (which he gave a few hours ago), and since the lines of comunication between the government and the manifestating people were bad, the Catholic Church was asked to act as a mediator. Now... why?
IDK how many bolivians are catholic, but I wonder... would it be like that here if something like that happened again? Cuz here Catholic Church gives its opinion all the time (even now, with the conflict of the students), but I had always thought it was almost a protocol thing. Does it still have that much power, as it had last century?
U know? It's weird for me, cuz I have had a lot of conflicts with Catholic Church, and the fact that it interfers with a country's politics well... doesn't help our relationship. I thought church had to do with humans and God, not with politics. I know politics has to do with humans also, and since both are related to humans there's a relation between religion and politics, I understand that, it just... doesn't feel right. I feel as if God was being cheated here, and I don't like it. I say that cuz I have that thing with politics being so dirty. Although, with all due respect to those who are practicing catholics or feel identified with catholicism, IDK if more can be expected from the Catholic Church.
I'm a mental wreck with these things... shouldn't be mixing politics and religion, it's even worse than mixing alcohol and painkillers (I've never done it but... I bet this is worse :P).
Hugs for all my faithful readers ;) a double one for those who make comments :P

Me suena como a mezclar tranquilizantes con alcohol, una combinación poco saludable, pero será...
Estaba viendo las noticias de las dos y vi que hay una crisis en Bolivia. Me recordó a lo que pasó aquí más de 30 años atrás y que todavía causa tanto dolor. En Bolivia las ciudades están bloqueadas, no hay forma de sacar o entrar comida, gas, carne, leche, o cualquier otro producto. Las personas están teniendo dificultades encontrando qué comer e incluso aquellos que quieren vender sus productos no lo tienen permitido. Por supuesto, no hay intercambio de productos con Chile.
En el medio de la crisis se le pidió la renuncia al presidente Meza (la que dió hace algunas horas), y ya que las líneas de comunicación entre el gobierno y las personas que se manifiestan estaban mal, se le pidió a la Iglesia Católica que actuara como mediadora. Ahora... por qué?
Yo no sé cuántos bolivianos son católicos pero me pregunto... sería así acá si pasara algo parecido de nuevo? Porque aquí la Iglesia Católica da su opinión todo el tiempo (incluso ahora, con el conflicto de los estudiantes), pero yo siempre había pensado que era una cosa casi que de protocolo. Todavía tiene tanto poder, como tuvo el siglo pasado?
Saben? es raro para mí, porque he tenido muchos conflictos con la Iglesia Católica, y el hecho de que interfiera con la política de un país pues... no ayuda a nuestra relación. Yo pensé que la iglesia tenía que ver con los humanos y con Dios, no con la política. Yo sé que también la política tiene que ver con los humanos, y que ya que las dos tienen que ver con los humanos se relacionan, eso lo entiendo, es sólo que... no se siente bien. Me siento como si se estuvieran cagando a Dios, y no me gusta. Por eso de que yo encuentro tan sucia la política, digo. Aunque, con todo el respeto a los católicos practicantes o aquellos que se sientan identificados con el catolicismo, no sé si se puede esperar más de la Iglesia Católica.
Soy un desastre mental con estas cosas... no debería estar mezclando política y religión, es aun peor que mezclar alcohol y tranquilizantes (nunca lo he hecho pero.... apuesto que esto es peor :P).
Abrazos para todos mis fieles lectores ;) y uno doble para los que comentan :P

4 Comments:

Blogger Enchanted Mind said...

bribing your readers with hugs,huh??
U might do well in politics *wicked grin* !!!

well, my comments later....in the afternoon.

7/6/05 10:57  
Blogger wookie said...

Religion and politics have always existed off each other. There's no religion without politics and no politics without religion.(especially so in a country like India).Religion has nothing to do with God. Its faith when God is involved in whatever form/belief.Religion is yet another power tool and politics is its closest cousin.

7/6/05 15:42  
Blogger Monicaatje said...

@PH: What have i done to u? why do u tell me I would do well in politics? evil friend :P *smiley frown* (if there isn't such a thing I asure u I can do it :P).

@Arch Storm: thx for stopping bye and for ur comments.
That's what I say, it's a dangerous combo, like painkillers and alcohol.

@Wookie: I'm gonna have to give that statement a few more thoughts. I had always thought religions were meant to serve God, not themselves, and certainly not the personal interests of a few group of powerful people. As I've said so many times before, politics is way more human shit than I can stand, that's why I try to stay away as much as I can (which is not much, unfortunately).
Thx for the visit and... when will u update? No pressure it's just I'd very much like to read a new post ;)

7/6/05 21:56  
Blogger Monicaatje said...

I just noticed I had abandoned and even forgotten this post... maybe cuz it's not one of my fave topics to talk about :P
@V and arch: I guess I have a clearer view of it now.

@Tchorix: en todo caso yo no dije que sea malo, sino que... no sé... con mis ideas preconcebidas me parecia algo... descolocador. Pero ahora incluso me acuerdo que el Papa Juan Pablo II QEPD medió para que no hubiese un guerra entre Chile y Argentiina (o lo acabo de inventar?). En cuyo caso claramente no estoy en contra de la intervención.
Cuáles serían esos principios religiosos que no debería transgredir la iglesia al meterse en política?

16/6/05 21:19  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home