martes, mayo 24

Watching and learning ~ Mirando y aprendiendo

One of my 43 goals (actually I’ve only written down 37 so far) is to be an agent of peace in my community. This post is about that.
I don’t know how many of you know we have been on a strike (that will most likely be over by Wednesday afternoon). Last Thursday we had a campus meeting to talk about what was going to happen during the weekend, how the protest were going to be organized, etc. One of my friends is a student’s leader (actually his official “rank” is representative, and he always says he’s only a representative, but he can’t help the fact he is a leader), and he was leading the meeting that day. He started talking about the things we have achieved during this year’s manifestations, more as a campus than as the national student’s movement. As he talked I was remembering about a time last year when we were having a group discussion and he started speaking his soul, not his mind… I remember I saw a new side of him that day and the love I had for him started growing. I had never seen he was such a beautiful person… amazing the things we can miss when we don’t communicate in deeper levels.
Last Thursday he was not speaking his soul tho, he was speaking his mind. He started talking about the cohesion we have achieved as a campus, and encouraging us all not to lose that when the strike was over. We (the two careers of our campus: psychology and nursing) have been working side by side this year, the leaders have managed to have a much better call than in the last five years (from what we’ve heard from the guys who’ve been in campus longer), and the differences there have been between both careers have turned rather blurry. He was talking about that and I saw many people nod, some smiles, support from both careers, good will to change the “normal” climate on campus between both careers. I realized in that moment that he was being an agent of peace in his community, and I felt so proud of him, of being his friend, of having him as a friend, and again the love I had for him increased, and my joy to see that there are people who do things to change what they dislike and not only complain about them. It helps me also to see someone so close to me doing what I too want to do, it encourages me, it gives me new ideas of the way my goal can be reached, about the kind of behavior that will help me make it happen, and I have great hope that I will make it =)


Una de mis 43 metas(de hecho hasta el momento sólo he escrito 37) es ser un agente de paz en mi comunidad. Este post se trata de eso.
No sé cuantos de uds saben que hemos estado en paro (que probablemente termine ya el miércoles). El jueves pasado tuvimos una asamblea de campus para hablar de o que iba a pasar el fin de semana, cómo se iba a organizar la protesta, etc. Uno de mis amigos es dirigente estudiantil (de hecho su “rango” oficial es de representante, y él siempre dice que es sólo un representante, pero no puede evitar el hecho de que es un líder), y estaba dirigiendo la asamblea del otro día. Empezó a hablar de las cosas que habíamos logrado durante las manifestaciones de este año, más como campus que como movimiento estudiantil nacional. Mientras él hablaba yo iba acordando de una vez el año pasado en que estábamos hablando en el grupo y él empezó a decir lo que sentía, no ya lo que pensaba… recuerdo que vi una nueva faceta de él ese día y el cariño que sentía por él empezó a crecer. Nunca había visto que fuera una persona tan hermosa… increíble de lo que nos podemos perder por no comunicarnos a niveles más profundos.
El jueves pasado no estaba hablando de lo que sentía, estaba hablando de lo que pensaba. Empezó a hablar de la cohesión que hemos logrado como campus, y a incentivarnos a todos a que no perdamos eso cuando se acabe el paro. Las dos carreras que hay en el campus, enfermería y psicología, hemos trabajo codo a codo este año, los dirigentes han logrado una convocatoria mucho mayor que la de los últimos cinco años (o eso es lo que nos han dicho personas que han estado en la u desde hace más tiempo), y se han empezado a limar las diferencias que ha habido entre las dos carreras. Él estaba hablando de eso y yo veía a mucha gente asentir, sonreír, apoyo de parte de las dos carreras. Me di cuenta en ese momento de que él estaba haciendo un agente de paz en su comunidad, y me sentí tan orgullosa de él, de ser su amiga, de tenerlo como amigo, y de nuevo el cariño que siento por él comenzó a crecer, así como mi regocijo al ver que hay personas que hacen cosas para cambiar lo que les desagrada y no sólo se quejan de ello. Me ayuda también ver a alguien tan cercano haciendo lo que yo quiero hacer también, me incentiva, me da nuevas ideas de maneras en las que puedo lograr mi meta, acerca de la clase de conducta que me ayudará a hacerlo pasar, y tengo gran esperanza de que lo voy a lograr =)

5 Comments:

Blogger Enchanted Mind said...

I know you ppl are on strike for quite long time now :-p

And I also know that u finally wld have to move your ass and go to the university , hehehe....

Agent of peace.....*ph bows done his newly acquired hat and pays his respect *

24/5/05 17:44  
Blogger Monicaatje said...

Is it just me or u find this rather amussing? I tell u, this is my third strike in four years, back to school is not gonna be pretty :(

Newly acquired hat? I guess we will be seeing some pics of that soon ;)

24/5/05 18:35  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

Dónde stai?

2/6/05 09:17  
Blogger Monicaatje said...

hm.... que pregunta amplia esa *pensando*

2/6/05 21:47  
Blogger Monicaatje said...

@Tchorix: mire mijito, yo leo TODOS los comentarios que se hacen en mi blog. Algo así como que "en este país no vuela una mosca sin que yo lo sepa" (jajajajaja), en este blog no se hace un comentario sin que yo lo sepa ;)

16/6/05 21:26  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home